How To Install Windows on Vultr VPS
Vultr is a Cloud Server provider with 100% SSD hardware, 15 datacenter locations spread all over the world. Vultr’s advantages are cheap, high performance and easy, quick installation.
Click here to visit Vultr.
Today I will show you how to install Windows on your VPS through Custom ISO feature. This trick will save you a lot of money.
I’ve already tried and got successful. So you just need to pay $5 per month for a 1GB RAM VPS.
You can choose any version of Windows OS among Windows 7 (x32/x64), Windows 10 (x32/x64) and Windows Server 2012 but I recommend Windows 7 for the best performance.
After installing Windows, you must run the update immediately to fix all existing security holes. This action is required lest VPS be hacked.
1. Prepare Windows 7 ISO
To Install Windows on VPS, You have to get a Windows ISO file. Don’t worry I have them here. You can visit here to download which version you want.
– After you have the file ISO Windows 7, you need to extract to a certain folder, for example C: \ Windows 7
– Download the ISO VirtiO driver file and extract it to the folder C: \ Windows 7 \ VirtiO for example. VirtiO is a standard helps virtual machines know they are running in a virtualized environment, thereby interacting with the virtualization hardware.
– Use WinAIO Maker Professional to pack the entire Windows 7 folder into an ISO file
Run the program, select Folder2ISO
In the first box, select the path to decompress Windows 7, here is C: \ Windows 7. The second box select the path save the ISO file, such as C: \ Win7.iso
Finally, click Build to create the ISO file.
– After obtaining the ISO file, you need to proceed to upload this file on the server, and then use this link to remotely upload to Vultr because Vultr does not allow direct upload.After you can install windows vps with the file you just upload.
2. Upload ISO file to Vultr
First go to Vultr then login to your account. You will see this VPS Management page like below:
To upload ISO file to Vultr, switch to the ISO tab, click Add ISO blue button then paste the direct link you have prepared to the Upload ISO from remote machine and click Upload.
Wait for a short time for the file to be uploaded. When you see the status is Available with the correct size then head over the the step 3.
At this time, Vultr has limited each account could only upload 2 ISO files. If you want to add more you have to delete the old one.
3. Create VPS with ISO file
After successfully uploading ISO file, click the blue plus button on the top of the right of your screen to create Windows VPS. See more how to create VPS at Vultr.
Choose your desired Server Location, Package. Server Type you choose Upload ISO and select the ISO file that you have uploaded at step 2.
Finally hit the Deploy Now blue button to create the server.
On this article, I’ll guide you install Windows 7 on Vultr. If you need to install Windows 10 on Vultr, you can read here
- Vultr has 3 type of servers: Compute Instance (optimized performance, recommended), Storage Instance (bigger storage but lower performance) and Dedicated Instance (big resource) for you to choose. All can install Windows.
- Location: Should choose location near your traffic location.
- Server Size: should choose server which has at least 1GB RAM
4. Installing Windows
Wait until the status of VPS changed to Running with no more yellow notice in Server Information management page then click the View Console button
In case of error when mounting the ISO file, View console will show this notice below:
On the Server Information page, click Settings button, Custom ISO and and Mount the ISO file from the beginning.
The Windows 7 Installing Screen show up, click Next and then Install Now
Choose Custom (advanced)
Select Load Driver
Select all driver in the list then click Next (you have to choose all driver so that the hard drive would be appeared)
Then click Next
The following steps will be installed windows normaly
After finish installing, the Windows 7 screen will be appeared like this
So you have done. That’s all about how to install windows on Vultr VPS
Some notes when using VPS:
- Use Remote Desktop to connect to your VPS.
- Configure some small settings like 16 bit Colors and Windows Classic Mode for faster loading VPS.